We loved this great post about the value of sport for kids. We certainly believe gymnastics is much more than just teaching kids cartwheels. It’s about confidence, discipline, being part of a team and developing passion (not to mention building strength, resilience, coordination and school readiness!).
So, we had to share this post – so many valuable reasons for kids to be involved in sports!
One of my friends asked “Why do you pay so much money for your kids to do all their sports?” Well I have a confession to make; I don’t pay for my kids to to do sports. Personally, I couldn’t care less about what sport they do.
SO, IF I AM NOT PAYING FOR SPORTS WHAT AM I PAYING FOR?
- I pay for those moments when my kids become so tired they want to quit but don’t.
- I pay for those days when my kids come home from school and are “too tired” to go to training, but they go anyway.
- I pay for my kids to learn to be disciplined, focused and dedicated.
- I pay for my kids to learn to take care of their body and equipment.
- I pay for my kids to learn to work with others and to be good team mates, gracious in defeat and humble in success.
- I pay for my kids to learn to deal with disappointment, when they don’t get that placing or title they’d hoped for, but still they go back week after week giving it their best shot.
- I pay for my kids to learn to make and accomplish goals.
- I pay for my kids to respect, not only themselves, but other athletes, officials & coaches.
- I pay for my kids to learn that it takes hours & hours, years & years of hard work and practice to create a champion and that success does not happen overnight.
- I pay for my kids to be proud of small achievements, & to work towards long term goals.
- I pay for the opportunity my kids have and will have to make life-long friendships, create lifelong memories, to be as proud of their achievements as I am.
- I pay so that my kids can be out on the field or in the gym instead of in front of a screen…
I could go on but, to be short, I don’t pay for sports; I pay for the opportunities that sports provides my kids to develop attributes that will serve them well throughout their lives & give them the opportunity to bless the lives of others.
From what I have seen so far I think it is a great investment!