Welcome to the latest Kim’s Corner update! Competition Season is in full swing and our Aspire gymnasts from level 1 to level 8 are working so hard in the gym. Check out all we have been up to and some of our housekeeping reminders below!
We are off and running for team season
We kicked off our Level 3-10 Team Season with the first competition of the year, My Team Rules. It was so great to also see our Foundation level 1 and 2’s performing at this event in Brisbane and the girls all did a fantastic job. Many of the girls were competing a new level this year and I loved seeing their confidence out there on the competition floor.
Our gymnasts are back in the gym working hard, cleaning up their routines and building new skills. Keep working hard ladies you are doing a great job.
Aspire Performance Individual & Team Competitions
Level 4-6 competitions are spread across the year from the end of April to the start of October. My Team Rules started off the season and soon those girls selected to represent Southport at State Clubs will be performing at the Delta Team Challenge before heading to the Queensland Clubs Event. Following these two competitions we start our individual campaigns with Regional Championships and the Coomera Competition on the Gold Coast. Those gymnasts in level 4-6 who qualify for the Queensland Gymnastics Championships will compete in September, and some of our Southport gymnasts will also contest the National Club Championships, which are being held on the Gold coast this year!
For team competitions, gymnasts are grouped into teams of 3 to 7 (depending on the competition) to make up our Navy, Red and White teams in various levels. Teams are chosen based on training, competitive performance, and the ability to contribute on certain apparatus. As these are team events, we will not necessarily select gymnasts for certain teams based on their overall scores or places at previous competitions, but rather we look for the strongest apparatus performances and how we can maximise strengths. We trust parents will understand and support our team selections.
With competition season in full swing, I thought I would take the opportunity for some housekeeping and reminders.
Preparing for Competitions:
Remember, to be eligible to compete, gymnasts are expected to attend all training sessions in the lead up. While we understand that at times this may not be possible; if a gymnast has been absent, it is up to our coaches to determine their eligibility for competition, based on the safety of the gymnast.
Competitive performance is the outcome of successful training. Gymnasts will be entered in all available competitions for which they have qualified, based on being the correct age/level for the event, training attendance and improvement, reaching the minimum standard in skill and routine goals, supporting teammates in training and at competition, having a current membership/fees and completing competition nomination by the due date.
What to Wear to the Competition
- Club tracksuit
- Club member shirt
- Plain white socks, sneakers (please note, for level 4-10 gymnasts, please do not wear your long sleeve leotard to the venue)
What to wear when competing
- Club competition leotard
- Club tracksuit
- Plain white socks
What to bring to competition
- Club bag
- Guards/white wristbands
- Water bottle
- Vaseline/Paw Paw / Band aids
- Copy of your music (for optional floor routines onl
When you’re at the Competition
- Please check in with your coach 15-20 minutes before the start of warm-up on Competition Day (please remember to leave time for your daughter to get into her leotard prior to meeting her coach).
- Once they have checked in with their coach, gymnasts will need to stay on the competition floor for the remainder of the competition (rules regulate that gymnasts may not leave the floor without permission of the Jury, nor have any contact with persons outside the Competition Arena.)
- Gymnasts, please be polite, respectful, and supportive to all participants and officials.
- As a club we want to provide our Delta Aspire members with all the support possible at competition. We ask that where possible girls attend other sessions and support their teammates in their events.
- Audience members are encouraged to cheer loudly & support their gymnasts! Spectators are asked to please behave in a way that exemplifies the Delta Spirit and sets a positive example for our children.
Thanks everyone, I am looking forward to seeing our amazing gymnasts in action at the upcoming competition and cheering on our girls as they perform!
See you in the gym,