With busy family life it can sometimes be a rush to get to after school activities, while also fitting in a healthy snack for your child! The right snack is essential to ensure your child has the energy and focus to really enjoy their gymnastics class/sporting session, especially if they’re coming from a busy day at school.
Delta mum and Accredited Practising Dietitian and Diabetes Educator, Clare Evangelista from Balance Podiatry/Balance Diet Centre has given us some healthy snack ideas and practical hints to ensure you child gets time for a healthy snack after school!
Low glycaemic index (low GI) foods are perfect as they provide sustained release energy and a small amount of protein will also help your child to feel full for longer!
Here are Some Low GI Gymnastics Snacks Kids will Love!
- A tub of yoghurt with a sprinkle of muesli
- Fresh fruit with a milk drink
- Air popped popcorn
- Wholegrain crispbreads or corn cakes with cheese
- A small tub of baked beans with some cheese cubes
For Afternoon Tea on the Run!
- Try packing extra items in your child’s school lunchbox so they can start nibbling while they wait for you at the school pickup area.
- Eating in the car may be inevitable, so keep a small towel in the car to put over your child’s lap while eating. When you arrive you can fold up the mess inside the towel and shake into a bin instead of onto the floor of your car!
- Keep a box of crispbreads in the glove box for emergencies.
- Chopping up fruit or cheese will make it faster to eat if time is limited.
See you in the gym!