Getting ready for competition? Here is a quick guide to help with your gymnast’s Aspire competition hair!
You will need:
- 1 large elastic
- 4 small elastics
- 1 medium elastic
- 1 x 70cm piece of White (Delta Brisbane & Barron Valley) or Red (Delta Gold Coast/Southport) plain satin ribbon
(can be purchased from the Delta Pro Shop at Kedron)
- 1 x small piece of White (Delta Brisbane & Barron Valley) or Red (Delta Gold Coast) sparkly organza ribbon
- Very strong hair gel, hairspray and glitter spray
- Start by wetting hair and applying gel liberally through to ends.
- Collect hair in a high ponytail placed centrally and in line with top of head.
- Use the large hairband for this.
- Divide the ponytail into two halves and comb each half out sidewards – this allows a distribution of long and short ponytail hair for each of the 4 plaits. *
- Divide each section into half again and reapply some gel to each section as you are ready to commence plaiting.
- Try to plait down as far as possible and as close to the end of each section of hair.
- After you have finished all plaits arrange them so that that are sitting neatly side by side.
- Gather the four plaits together and using the medium sized elastic start to wind it around the plaits to hold them together.
- Before the last couple of turns, fold the bottom feathery ends of the plaits up and under so that you form a loop and keep twisting this elastic to anchor the loop.
- Using the pointy end of a comb, push the short piece of plain white (Delta Brisbane) or plain red (Delta Gold Coast/Southport) satin ribbon through the loop of hair that you made at the bottom of the plaits.
- Pull the plaits up and under.
- Take one end of the white/red ribbon and feed it through the large elastic holding the ponytail.
- Tie ribbon with a double knot and cut off any excess.
- Tie a bow with the white (Delta Brisbane/Barron Valley) or red (Delta Gold Coast/Souhtport) sparkly organza ribbon.
- Finish with a good strong hairspray and some glitter spray!
* Please note – if your daughter has finer/thicker hair, please adjust number of plaits accordingly (i.e. 3 or 6 plaits may be preferable).
Great Job – you did it!