Getting ready for competition? Here is a quick guide to help with your gymnast’s Delta competition hair!
You will need:
- 1 large elastic
- 4 small elastics
- 1 medium elastic
- 1 x 70cm piece of White (Delta Brisbane) or Red (Delta Gold Coast) plain satin ribbon
- 1 x small piece of White (Delta Brisbane) or Red (Delta Gold Coast) sparkly organza ribbon
- Very strong hair gel, hairspray and glitter spray
- Start by wetting hair and applying gel liberally through to ends.
- Collect hair in a high ponytail placed centrally and in line with top of head.
- Use the large hairband for this.
- Divide the ponytail into two halves and comb each half out sidewards – this allows a distribution of long and short ponytail hair for each of the 4 plaits. *
- Divide each section into half again and reapply some gel to each section as you are ready to commence plaiting.
- Try to plait down as far as possible and as close to the end of each section of hair.
- After you have finished all plaits arrange them so that that are sitting neatly side by side.
- Gather the four plaits together and using the medium sized elastic start to wind it around the plaits to hold them together.
- Before the last couple of turns, fold the bottom feathery ends of the plaits up and under so that you form a loop and keep twisting this elastic to anchor the loop.
- Using the pointy end of a comb, push the short piece of plain white (Delta Brisbane) or plain red (Delta Gold Coast) satin ribbon through the loop of hair that you made at the bottom of the plaits.
- Pull the plaits up and under.
- Take one end of the white/red ribbon and feed it through the large elastic holding the ponytail.
- Tie ribbon with a double knot and cut off any excess.
- Tie a bow with the white (Delta Brisbane) or red (Delta Gold Coast) sparkly organza ribbon.
- Finish with a good strong hairspray and some glitter spray!
* Please note – if your daughter has finer/thicker hair, please adjust number of plaits accordingly (i.e. 3 or 6 plaits may be preferable).
Great Job – you did it!